Thursday, October 22, 2009

First Fall CSA Share!!

A co-worker told me about the fall CSA program from a nearby farm--Elmwood Stock Farm. Although their main CSA is during the summer, they offer a fall program with biweekly pick ups, for a total of 10 weeks. It focuses on fall produce, plus any leftover/stored summer produce. We also opted to do add the meat option. I was looking so forward to getting our first share and cooking some great, fall foods! Well, today was the day.



In this share, we got the following: baby beets, brussels sprouts, organic, garlic, garlic powder, kale greens, sage, rosemary, gold potatoes, red potatoes, baby rutabagas, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, stripetti squash, sweet potatoes, turnips, cucumbers, eggplant, bell peppers, a whole chicken, and ground round. All of the veggies are organic--with the exception of the squash. The beef comes from certified organic angus cattle and the chicken is also organic.



I decided to do the CSA program, our first time ever, because I am really falling in love with the idea of buying local. Sure, there are environmental reasons, but I personally like the idea of helping my neighbor. In these tough economic times, I worry about the farmer in the next town, the local artisans, businessmen, etc. So, the idea of getting fresh produce and supporting local businesses makes me feel like I am supporting my community. I also really like the idea of being force to try new foods. Although I recently moved from Chicago, which has amazing farmers markets, I would never step out of the box and try new things. So, today I am. And, as I write, I have scalloped turnips in the oven. I will be sure to post a follow up review of the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment