Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Cupcake Review

I recently volunteered to bake cupcakes for my boss's birthday and was quite excited to try a new recipe. I love making baked goods from scratch and really wanted to try making real buttercream. So, I decided to make Martha Stewart's yellow butter cupcakes with her chocolate buttercream frosting. The instructions were very easy to follow and didn't require anything too difficult.


The batter tasted delicious, and I was excited to see how they would turn out! Unfortunately, I think I over-filled the cupcake tins because they rose too much and spilled over the sides. I was a little disappointed in that. The recipe said to fill each tin, but I would recommend leaving some room at the top. Because they rose so much, the cooking time was also off. So, I kept an eye on them, but couldn't keep the edge from browning too much, since the middles weren't completely done. They turned out pretty good, probably a little on the dry side (maybe I over baked them??). The icing was delicious. Real buttercream is super rich, especially with chocolate in it.



Overall, I think the recipes are both very good, classic recipes, but I needed to improve my execution! I am adjusting to a new oven (and an electric oven at that), so that may explain some of the problems.

1 comment: