Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dreaming of Ireland


A few years ago, my husband and I went to Ireland. It was our first European trip together, and we fell in love! We traveled from Dublin down the southern coast, stopping along the way, and left from Shannon. We loved the people, the culture, the sites, and even the food. Our very favorite was the brown bread. We stayed in B&Bs during our trip, and they all served delicious brown bread with soft butter. Since then, I've been trying to recreate the bread we head in Ireland, with various degrees of success. Tonight, I have found it. The very first result in a google search for "Irish brown bread" is this. And it's delish.



The recipe is super easy, and it turns out great! The texture is great--soft, yet with texture from the whole wheat flour. I used stone ground whole wheat flour, which I highly recommend. I had to add extra buttermilk, to get the texture right, but the directions in the recipe tell you exactly what consistency you should be looking for (slightly thick brownie texture, yet pourable). This bread is perfect served with some salted butter, alongside a hearty stew or soup (I served mine with Cottage Pie, which I'll be discussing in a later post).

No comments:

Post a Comment