Friday, August 14, 2009

Sockdown 2009-2010

I was perusing Ravelry the other day, and found the Sock Knitter's Anonymous group. I have only made 1 and a half socks to date. I took a sock class this summer and loved it, and immediately started on my second pair as a gift for my dad. But, I had to stop working on them until I could get him to try them on, then I got side tracked. He was in town this week, so I had him try them on and was able to get the first sock finished! Now on to the second. But, I found this group on Ravelry and I joined! They do a Sockdown challenge throughout the year, and the new year begins in September. I am definitely going to do it! I may not be able to keep up every month, but I think it will be a fun challenge to keep me knitting socks.

Here is the schedule for the year and my plan of attack for the first two months. Each month they encourage you to use either the technique of the month or knit a pair of socks by the designer of the month. Plus, the odd months have a mystery sock! If you're interested, you can get more info here.

The Sockdown: Ravelry! Schedule 2009 - 2010

  • September – Technique: All knit with the same color (Solid or Semi-Solid Yellow)
    Designer: Wendy Johnson Mystery Sock Designer: Nancy Bush

For September, I am planning on using their technique (knitting with yellow) to knit the Nancy Bush mystery sock. So, two birds, one stone! I am hoping to get some Dream in Color Smooshy in Butter Peep for my yellow.
  • October – Technique: Holiday Stocking/ Man Socks/Knitting for a Cause
    Designer: Jeannie Cartmel

In October I will do the suggested technique, man socks. I have been promising my husband a pair of socks, and I even have the yarn (Lang Jawoll Aktion in a dark gray/black). I am not sure yet of the pattern. Here are some I like: Gentlemen Socks, Mr. Pitt's Socks, and the http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/globe-trotter-socks (I am working on that pattern now for my dad, so may want to do something different). Any thoughts?
  • November – Technique: Mosaic/Slipped Stitches
    Designer: Chrissy Gardiner Mystery Sock Designer: Star Athena

  • December – Technique: Almost Socks/Leftover Socks/Stashbuster Socks/Stripes/Self Striping Yarns
  • Designers: Kirsten Kapur/ Kristi Schueler/ Hunter Hammersen

  • January – Technique: Texture Other than Rib/ Beaded Socks
    Designer: Nancy Bush Mystery Sock Designer: Debbie O’Neill

  • February – Technique: Underappreciated Patterns/Entrelac/ Intarsia
    Designer: Yarnissima

  • March – Technique: Lace
    Designer: Janel Laidman Mystery Sock Designer: Kristi Geraci

  • April – Technique: Designs from an Online Magazine
    Designer: Cookie A.

  • May – Technique: Cables/Traveling Stitches
    Designer: Cat Bordhi Mystery Sock Designer: Cookie A.

  • June – Technique: DYO, Vintage Patterns
    Designer: Stephanie van der Linden

  • July – Technique: Stranded/Colorwork/Fairisle (Including Nordic/Scandanavian)
    Designer: Ann Hanson Mystery Sock Designer: Chrissy Gardiner

No comments:

Post a Comment