Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Confessions of a Yarnaholic

I am officially addicted to yarn! (what knitter isn't??) I love and hate Ravelry for introducing me to so many wonderful types of yarn, especially hand-dyed yarns that I can't get at my LYS. Don't get me wrong I am glad to have these additions to my stash, but my pocketbook isn't . . . nether is my husband! I was watching Confessions of a Shopaholic last night and Rebecca's description of shopping and the pleasure she gets from shopping completely match the pleasure I get from buying yarn. For example:
You know that thing when you see someone cute and he smiles and your heart kind of goes like warm butter sliding down hot toast? Well that's what it's like when I see a store. Only it's better.
And comparing shopping to men:

A man will never love you or treat you as well as a store. If a man doesn't fit, you can't exchange him seven days later for a gorgeous cashmere sweater. And a store always smells good. A store can awaken a lust for things you never even knew you needed. And when your fingers first grasp those shiny, new bags... oh yes... oh yes.
Swap "store" for "yarn" and these quotes may ring true for some of us. Am I right? And, even more, is that a sign I (we?) have a problem? This is something to consider for a later day. As a newer knitter, and an even newer stasher, I still feel like I have time to keep stashing before going overboard.

I finally caught my first Wollmeise update last night! I got a small "We're Different" grab bag in Blau, Twin. I can't wait for it to arrive so I can check it out. I also bought my first yarn by Yarn Chef today. I posted earlier about Sockdown and knitting yellow socks in September. Although I bought some Dream in Color in butter peeps for that month, I found some on Yarn Chef that I like better. It's the Minestrone line (75% superwash merino, 25% nylon) in straw hat. It's going to be gorgeous! Maybe I'll exchange my butter peeps for a different color...

My recent exposure to these yarns got me thinking about hand-dyed yarns and smaller operations that I may not know much about. Does anyone have any they can't live without? How do you guys find out about new yarns? I get a lot of information from Ravelry, but there is so much out there that it is hard to process!

1 comment:

  1. Go to etsy. I love Fearless Fibers and there's a whole gang of indie dyers on etsy...just search yarn...

    ReplyDelete